Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Karim's look


Welcome to the workshop!

I recently visited designer superstar Karim Rashid at his studio on 54th street In Manhattan. The designer was, as always, dressed in white: white pants, white shirt, white sneakers, white glasses, white watch, with a touch of bright, shocking pink coming from his socks.
When did he create this very particular look for himself?
“It was 1999”, he said. “I was part of a panel in a conference and everyone was dressed in black. I’ve worn a lot of white throughout the years, mixing it with colors. I like colors, hot pink, orange…I still have a lot of black suits from the 80’s, a lot of Yohji Yamamoto and Comme des Garcons and all that stuff, so I would accent it with a lot of color. I love color, but I am afraid of color. In the design community you are not taken seriously if you don’t LOOK serious, but now I say F…them, I have worked enough and I can wear whatever I want. I find this idea that the creative community must wear a uniform very perverse.”

No comments:

Post a Comment